Opened 10 years ago

Closed 10 years ago

#1691 closed defect (invalid)

Merkaartor 0.13.1 unusable: High cpu, whole operating system becomes unresponsive

Reported by: soc Owned by: cbro@…
Priority: critical Milestone:
Component: merkaartor Version:
Keywords: high cpu merkaartor Cc: merkaartor@…

Description

I went to the merkaartor homepage and built me a package from the current version (0.13.1).

But this version uses an insane amount of cpu. While merkaartor works (e.g. downloading one or two tiles which takes approx. 20(!) seconds each), my whole display is completely frozen and doesn't respond anymore.

I went back to merkaartor 0.12, which is the last version which works for me. (I downloaded the merkaartor package 0.13 from Debian, but that version gave me a SegFault? right after starting the app.)

OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (amd64) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by bielawski1@…

I do see a major slowdown with 0.13, but it is still usable for me. With 0.12, I could get render times of 5 to 10 ms; now they are closer to 60 ms. I'm on Debian unstable, Intel Core Duo T2050, Intel 945GM.

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by Chris Browet

It looks like there are problems with nvidia cards on linux.

Please add "NVIDIA_HACK=1" to you "qmake" command.

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by soc

I switched from nvidia-glx-177 to nouveau and the problem was gone. I can now confirm that this is a nvidia driver bug. It might be interesting if the bug is fixed in nvidia-glx-180...

comment:4 in reply to:  3 Changed 10 years ago by Chris Browet

Cc: merkaartor@… added
Resolution: invalid
Status: newclosed

Replying to soc:

I switched from nvidia-glx-177 to nouveau and the problem was gone. I can now confirm that this is a nvidia driver bug. It might be interesting if the bug is fixed in nvidia-glx-180...

Forwarding to the list as it might interest others...

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.