Ticket #824 (closed enhancement: wontfix)
Geotools (modified Potlatch)
|Reported by:||ShakespeareFan00||Owned by:||richard@…|
|Component:||potlatch (flash editor)||Version:|
A competitor site to OSM, Wikimapia provides a limited geotools option.
It is suggested, that a modfied potlatch be provided in OSM, to provide simmilar functionality.
The features suggested shall be -
- approximate distance between two selected notes by a straight line, either from pre existing OSM nodes, or by direct reference to a background layer.
- approximate distance with reference to a background layer,by direct user selection (user constructs a way in the geotools window over a background layer such as NPE or Yahoo). The distance display should ideally be a list of points selected, the individual distances between points, and a running total of the length of the way.
- approximate, land survey of an area, by definition of an area though triangles,by user selection. The display should idealy be a list of points. the triangles constructed and the
areas developed thus..
- It shall be possible to extract the area or way so constructed in a compatible 'free' format.
- Mantinence of any area/way selected over zoom or movement.
- Browse only mode for OSM data to allow viewing of additional tagging information...
The closest example I can think of in terms of a pre-existing system are:
- MAGIC (propriatery) , and under a restrictive license, Shows OS data with overlays
for sepcfic data sets. Limited area and line distance survey tools..
- Wikimapia - which whilst supporting enhanced tag browsing, and some of the geo tools aspects has an unclear license.